I finished my fake journal yesterday and am happy to say I did one entry every day in April and the journal came out much better than I'd hoped. (This post explains the journal.) There are probably several complex reasons why this worked as well as it did that I will need to think more about to understand. However there was this very obvious one: a strict limitation on materials. Since working on my fake journal only required two items, i.e. the physical journal itself and a writing implement, there was never any need to go look for either something essential I'd forgotten before I could start or something extra I'd just suddenly decided later that I couldn't get along without. (I did several times print or cut out something to glue onto a journal page but I did this in such a way that it didn't affect the time spent writing.)
Typically when I try to do any art activity including art journaling, I spend more time hopping up and down and looking for stuff than I spend actually working. (I should note I'm not usually this way when doing other creative activities.) I've tried limiting materials but this hasn't worked very well for me in the past. There are of course numerous other approaches that have the potential to improve this situation. I hope to use the momentum from my IFJM project to discover which of these approaches work best for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment