Draw A Card

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Guilt?

In the past few years I've tried a variety of visual art activities but haven't enjoyed doing them as much as I'd expected to and as much as I'd like to.

In thinking back about what felt different when I was creating my 2014 fake journal as opposed to when I've done other types of art-related creating, I realized that I hadn't experienced a certain special type of guilt that I typically feel. At first I thought maybe it was simply because I was aware that my making the fake journal could possibly be useful to certain other people. But I quickly remembered that I don't typically feel guilty simply because an activity isn't useful.

But then I had an insight. I suspect that this guilt only occurs when I know I could be doing something more useful than whatever I am doing. In other words, when I'm trying to create art, I'm apparently aware at some level that I'm wasting limited resources—my creativity, my intelligence, my ability to focus, my ability to learn new things, etc.—that I've used in the past to do something I have judged to be useful. This concern isn't relevant when I'm doing something like watching TV because then I'm not wasting these limited resources. That is, I do accept that I can only do so much that's useful at any one time.

Here is a link to a summary of a related discussion titled Creativity: Do You Feel Guilty for Being an Artist? Many of the commenters said things along the lines of art is hard or art is important. Here is one artist's comment that resonated with me:

Bridges, buildings, roads, the fabric of our world needs artists. Some work with paint, or stone or steel, others work with math, sound and genes. No, I don't feel guilty about being as artist, as such. I feel guilty that I have created so little when the world needs so much.

I'll be very interested to read your comments on this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment