Draw A Card

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

The Current State of Tarot

This is another post on what I learned about tarot while doing this project.

About 25 years ago I bought my first tarot deck, the classic Rider-Waite one, and a book about reading the cards since I was curious why a colleague found them intriguing. More recently I bought the unusual Artist's Inner Vision Tarot deck and associated book. (This deck was produced by 26 artists who each created three of its cards so the cards have a variety of styles.) However I'd only used my decks as intended a few times. Since I hadn't been paying much attention to the tarot world, I was extremely surprised and somewhat fascinated to discover the large size and international scope of the current tarot enterprise.

That enterprise now includes numerous commercial and personal websites; online readings available for free as well as for a price; hundreds of tarot decks for sale (some of which are surprisingly tasteless or even NSFW); instruction, coloring, and history books; online forums with hundreds of thousands of posts; easy to sign up for emailed newsletters and ads; Facebook Groups; professional associations; magazines; courses; conferences; tours; and even a just-begun KickStarter project that hopes to raise more than $65,000 to develop an app to "Transform your world with Tarot as you journey through an interactive map." One could easily spend all one's time getting and staying up-to-date on the tarot world but I don't think that learning much more about this topic is something I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment