When I decided to participate in IFJM 2014, I wanted everything to be as easy as possible so of course I planned to choose a journal I already had. When I opened the drawer where I keep most of my new and partially-used journals, I was delighted to find this marble cover—80 sheet composition book that I'd forgotten about. I'd bought it when we were on vacation last fall when I saw it in one of those drug stores that sells everything and just had to have it. I had only used the first dozen pages for a trip diary.
It turned out to be perfect for my IFJM project! It's a No. 77227 hard-cover sewn [!] 5x5 Quad Ruled 9.75x7.5 in. rounded corner notebook made in the U.S.A. by Roaring Spring Paper Products. It opens flat. The sheets are sturdy but very thin so almost anything except pencil or ballpoint pen bleeds through. Nonethless they feel lovely and the pages make a cheering noise when you turn them. I really liked this size: large enough to put quite a bit on a page if you want to but small enough that a half-filled page doesn't look empty.
I wish I'd discovered this notebook sooner because I like it better than any other notebook I've used for written journaling. I was surprised how freeing and enjoyable it is to write on quad-ruled paper. Another surprise was to learn that I much prefer to write in a sewn notebook with tape binding than to write in a spiral notebook.
I understand a lot better now why Roz puts so much emphasis on the choice of a journal and provides so much detail about all the different aspects and possibilities. It makes more of a difference than I would have expected to look forward to using a particular journal.

No comments:
Post a Comment