After I watched Ellen's videos I went to her site and discovered her decorated file folders. What a terrific idea. Why didn't I think of that? Since I use a lot of manila file folders for organizing all kinds of papers anyway, decorating these will be a great way to try new techniques and also to use up leftover supplies that might otherwise go to waste.
With that in mind, I decided to use the ideas from the video to decorate a folder instead of creating an art journal page.
I really liked the control I got by using a brayer instead of an old credit card to apply the background paint. (The scan doesn't show the multiple colors very well.)
Unfortunately, since I didn't have any of Ellen's stamps, I used one I'd tried to carve myself. When I finished the stamping, I discovered several things I'd do differently another time. First, if I'd staggered the rows as in the video, the stamped design would have fit better. Second, a more open stamp would have revealed more of the background and been more interesting. Finally, my stamp didn't work as the basis for the stamped and cut-out collage. I ended up discarding what I'd tried and collaging on a few die cuts instead.
I used some old gift wrap paper for the frame strips and you can see I did shape it a bit differently just to experiment. I used a number of different colors of Inktense pencils to outline the strips and I love the look I got from softening the lines with a water brush. I also like how the set-in frame gives a different effect from a border that goes to the edges of the page.
I still need more practice with my lettering but at least it is easy to read!
I really enjoyed decorating a folder as a way of trying something new. I wasn't concerned about trying to be original on my first go nor about whether I might not like the end result.

Gorgeous, bright art!
ReplyDeleteAlison x
Love it! Same techniques but on a file folder... brilliant! :) Love you carved heart stamp. Thanks for playing along!
ReplyDeleteGreat work and so useful too, you will soon have a whole rack of gorgeous,colourful folders.
ReplyDeleteReally love your idea so effective great choice of colours xx
ReplyDeletePretty and practical. Great lettering
ReplyDelete